Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sometimes a girl just needs a day!

Monday morning started out like every other Monday morning.  Walter got up and left for work at 6:30 and  I fell back asleep in hopes that the next hour would feel like another 8 hours of sleep.  Well, it didn't.  My alarm went off at 7:30, just like it always does.  Alexa and I have a ritual, my alarm goes off at 7:30 and I push snooze while I call her in to cuddle with me for 5 minutes.  Now, it is important for you to know that most mornings our cuddle/snooze fest turns into more of a 30 minute cuddle/snooze fest.  Most mornings we finally decide to wake up and face the day at 8:00.  Well, this Monday morning was different.  I didn't want to face the Monday morning....and more importantly, neither did my daughter.  This particular Monday, Alexa turned to me and said "Mom, I don't want to go to school today, I want a day with my mom.  I NEED a day with my mom."  Well, as a mom I had a decision to make....do I worry about my daughter missing a day at school, or do I spend the day giving my daughter what she needs....a day with her mom.  Of course I was worried about her missing a day of school for no reason, and of course I was worried about me missing a day of work for no reason.  However, how could I resist doing this, when my daughter said that she NEEDED a day with her mom.  I mean really, how many more years do I have with her where she NEEDS to spend a day with me, where she NEEDS to know that I am still her best friend, her everything.  Well, I finally made my mind up and called in sick...to both the school, and my office.

Alexa and I had the perfect day.  I am SOOOO glad that we decided to sluff our lives and spend the day with each other.  We literally spent the day talking about our lives, watching tv, cleaning the house, and making dinner for Walt when he got home.  It was such a great "girl bonding" day.  After we had cleaned the house, we went shopping, and on our way home, as she held my hand,  Alexa says to me " mom, I don't think I will ever have a best friend that I like more than you."

Oh. My. Goodness.  I can't tell you how much it meant to me to hear those words come out of her mouth.  I love the relationship I am building with her.  I love Her.  I love who she is becoming.  I love who I know she can be.  I love who I know she wants to be.  Hell, I even love the hard times I know that we are facing ahead as she grows up and goes through puberty....because it is a part of who she is going to become.

What a great "girls day" we had. Alexa asked if we can have a girls day every year, and I said without a single bit of hesitation....YES!  I love spending time with my little girl.  What a great day we had just laying around, and being lazy.

Here we are, laying around ( still in our pajamas), watching tv, and cuddling with the cat.....what a great day!